How can I rent an apartment with an eviction that did end...

How can I rent an apartment with an eviction that did end in court on my record?

Best answer:


Criminal Records, Marriage & Divorce Records, Bankruptcies, Evictions, Contact Info, and more...


I am seeking an apartment for myself and my partner. The problem is that I have an eviction on my record from two years ago. It was a fifty/fifty responsibility of myself and an ex-roommate. My ex skipped out of state. I was left with the eviction notice. The matter ended up in civil court but I made a deal, in front of the judge, with the landlord to pay off all the rent in payments. I did so and the account was closed a few months ago. Now, though, I am facing landlords who are refusing to accept my partner and I as tenants due to this eviction. What can I do to get around this issue? We both have poor credit but have been rebuilding for the last year plus.


  1. Ask a co-signer with good credit score then sign a paper to your co-signer stating that you will be responsible if something will happen because with eviction and poor credit there’s anything you can do.

  2. Co-signer is one approach, if you can find a place that will let you do that.

    Otherwise, try to go for a single owner duplex or small complex. They are more likely to work with you, or not even check your credit to begin with. You may have to settle for a place in a not-so-great neighborhood for this to work…

  3. On option you could consider is to offer to give a large amount of money upfront – maybe offer to prepay the first three months rent. Or, offer a more generous security deposit (pay first, last and two months’ security). The rules may vary based on your state as to what the landlord can legally accept. However, if you find a way to reassure him or her that he/she will be covered if you fall behind on payments again, then that will go a long way. Another option is to ask your former landlord for a letter documenting the payment in full.

  4. As you are finding out, many landlords will not accept applicants with a past eviction and bad credit. The two together are an absolute denial.

    There is not much that you can do.

    If the landlord’s criteria in no evictions, it is what it is. Most will not change their mind even with a co-signer, extra deposit, prepaid rent, etc.

    You are going to have to keep searching until you find a place that will accept bad credit and an eviction. Usually, they are in the not-so-great areas.

Leave a Reply