How to get rid of a court judgement record in my public...

How to get rid of a court judgement record in my public record ?

Best answer:


Criminal Records, Marriage & Divorce Records, Bankruptcies, Evictions, Contact Info, and more...


I have a $1000 judgement from civil court for not paying credit card. I know this is already listed in my public record section in my credit report. Is this listed in a Criminal History Report as well? (and therefore NCIC database as well?)

If I want to pay this off, do I contact the law firm who represent the collecting agent who sue me, or do I contact the court or the collecting agent? Should I ask them to give me a written statement that they will send a letter to the court that this judgement is paid-off in advance before I paid them this $1000? Or they will automatically send this notice to court? I want the public record to be noted that I already pay this off. (although I know it probably going to stay there for 7 years.)


  1. You’re confusing court "public records" with credit history. Court records are permanent. The judgment will age off your credit history in 10 years.

  2. First of all, this is NOT listed in your criminal history and will not show up on the NCIC data base.

    Second. you will have to contact the law firm that filed the case with the court and inform them you want to settle the judgment. They are entitled to interest on the judgment and this is limited by state law, so you will probably wind up paying more then what the original amount was.

    Once you have paid (pay using a banks "cashier check" and note the court docket number on the check, this is your proof of payment). Send it certified mail/return receipt to the law firm.

    The law firm is required by law to contact the court and inform them the judgment has been settled. They will then inform the CRA’s the judgment is settled and the CRA’s will remove it from your credit report as per Sec. 1681s-2. Responsibilities of furnishers of information to consumer reporting agencies
    It does NOT stay on ones report once it has been paid. It only stays on if the judgment is NOT paid.

    Been there, done that.

    Hope this answers your question.

  3. what if the lawyer for the company is not calling back and you need to get rid of it in the next 30 days due to a closing of a house?

Leave a Reply