My Criminal Record has someone else’s crimes on it and it’s wrecking...

My Criminal Record has someone else’s crimes on it and it’s wrecking my employment opportunities. Help…

Best answer:


Criminal Records, Marriage & Divorce Records, Bankruptcies, Evictions, Contact Info, and more...


I am a professional in PA and when I recently applied for a new job, my crim check report came back with another person’s charges on it. I have had a DUI from 1990 and this all resolved and I am honest about it when I interview. Imagine my surprise and embarrassment when my report came back with a lot of other charges on it- a woman with the same name as me but in another part of the state. I went to the State Rep’s office as well as the State Police. I also was in touch with the FTC and they basically indicated that I might have a case for lawsuit. What a mess! I was told this is not that uncommon anymore.


  1. Sadly, it is not uncommon. I know two people who have criminal charges on their record that do not belong to them. Someone typed in the wrong social security number, and they never fixed it.

    The one girl is still fighting. She is white and in her early 20’s. The record belongs to a black man in his 40’s. And she’s having trouble getting this off of her record!

    Get a lawyer, and sue them for everything you can. I’m not usually in favor of lawsuits over mistakes, but this kind of mistake should just never happen. The girl I mention had this on her record for years without knowing. Who knows how many companies turned her down for a job because of this?

    These idiots need to be taught to be more careful about our reputations. One typo should not put another person’s crime on my record. There should be some sort of checks and balances, and the only way they’ll listen is to be sued. Once it starts costing them lots of money, they’ll wake up and pay attention.

  2. It’s probably residual effects of the Bush tactic to keep certain people from voting in the last presidential election where they would take the name of a criminal and deny everyone else with that name the right to vote.

  3. My ex husbands background check had him being sentenced for two years for burglary on the day my children were born. I have the pictures to prove he was alittle busy, not to mention witnesses. Simply write the company doing the report and make them add a written statement that this is erroneous information. Or be up front about it when you apply. I doubt that is the reason you are not getting jobs. It happens to to too many people, those reports like credit reports are horribly inaccurate.

  4. You need to contact the clerk of the court where the crimes the other person committed occurred. When you go, take proof of identification with you along with any documentation that shows any name changes. Once you produce that information, the clerk of the court should be able to have the other person’s crimes removed from your record. This is going to be a long drawn out process, so be prepared for it. While at the clerk of the court’s office, ask them for an official letter stating the errors currently reported on your criminal history, and perhaps even have them expound upon your actual record. Just like credit bureaus, courts have a responsibility to report accurate information.

    Good luck!

    Will D
    Enterprise AL

  5. I believe that a good place to start would be the district attorney’s office in the county where the other woman’s charges were prosecuted. But you may not know the answer to that. If not, then I would go to the district attorney’s office in the county of your residence and ask to speak with a supervising paralegal or attorney that can help you with that subject matter.

    I have run across that phenomenon once before when it involved identical twin brothers, and the transfer of criminal history from one brother to the other was because one of them was arrested and gave his brother’s name and descriptive information, dob, etc.

    Today with identity theft so common and people running around with other people’s id’s, anything is possible.

    However….if some other woman was arrested for a crime that later showed up on your record, it can be presumed that as part of her arrest she was fingerprinted and photographed at booking. Law enforcement can pull the fingerprint cards for that booking and compare it to your prints to confirm the error in identification, and then there are ways they can correct it – most probably through your state Department of Justice (DOJ) and/or local district attorney’s office.

    If the other woman actually had documents with her that was for you identity – in other words maybe a copy of your driver’s license and other similar data, she can be subsequently charged (again) for crimes having to do with that action.

    And suspicion would be even stronger if you are already acquainted with the other woman, therefore she had access to your identification and knowledge of date of birth, etc.

  6. will d is correct – start with your county clerk of courts – also make sure you have written documentation stating the errors previously made to your record for future purposes – if you have problems still – approach the convicting judges or prosecutors – if that has no effect – the county government has its own governing body probably called commisioners – approach them it you have continuing problems – if they still tick you off – go to the media – government officials cant stand public scrutiny – good luck

Leave a Reply